Monday, March 3, 2014

Common Bookseller Thoughts

Hullo!

Three kids books I'm excited we got in:
1. Timmy Failure: Now Look What You've Done by Stephan Pastis
I love Timmy Failure. It never fails to make me laugh and these books have some of my favorite opening paragraphs of all time.

2. Faking Normal by Courtney Stevens
I've heard such wonderful things in the lead up to this book's release. I'm thrilled it's finally here for me to read. I can't wait to have her here on the 24th.

3. Coyote Run by Gaetan Doremus
After his delightful Bear Despire I was excited to see a new picture book by Doremus. Off beat and a little bit weird this one has enemies throwing down their weapons to sit around the fire. Later they are saved by swarms of ladybugs.

Shoshana and I switched weeks so you get me two weeks in a row. To avoid overpowering anyone with my rambles I'm doing something a little different.

I'm sure you've seen one of our booksellers standing in the middle of the store with a really confused look on their face. Or maybe not confused maybe just thoughtful or distracted. Perhaps you have spent hours wondering 'What could they possibly be thinking about?'

If you don't tell anyone (except for the whole of the internet) I'll give you some insight into the bookseller brain. I've compiled a handy list of common bookseller thoughts.


Are we looking at a shelf with a furrowed brow? We might be thinking one of the following:

- 'G'...'G'... I know the alphabet I swear.'
- 'Do I have another copy of that?'
- 'I need more authors to have last names beginning with 'F.'
- 'Am I missing a display copy?'
- *groan* 'Did we just sell the last copy?'
- 'I still need to buy that book.'


Do we look somewhat confused and distracted? Perhaps we're pondering one of these:

- 'Do I have time to get coffee?'
- 'Where did I put my coffee?'
- 'Wait...did I have a stack of books in my hand?'
- 'I was just...'
- 'What was that page? Was that my name?'



Are we a little bit frantic? It might be one of these:

- 'What was that sound?'
- 'I definitely think that was my name!'
- 'Oh no, I'm supposed to be on register!'
- 'Phone's ringing! Phone's ringing!'


That isn't to say that I can speak for everyone. We're different people we have different concerns. So, maybe this should be 'Common Amy Bookselling Thoughts.' Regardless, insight is always a good thing.

-Amy


No comments: