Monday, December 30, 2013

There's Always Next Year

Hullo!

Since this week's post is a list itself, I'm going to avoid listing my three favorites this week. Not to mention we're still reassembling the section after the holidays (thank you, thank you, thank you for ravaging our section. This is the only time I'm excited to clean).

The year is almost over, which I find really startling and a little bit terrifying (it can't possibly be 2014 yet). And there have been so many really fantastic books that have come out this year and next year doesn't look like it will disappoint either.


As everyone is winding down after the holidays I feel like I need to wind everyone back up. Or at least get them excited again...or, at the very least, get myself excited again. Why? Books, that's why and I am happy dancing (internally) over some of the releases next year has to offer.

In my riled up excitement I would like to share with you the ten books I am most excited for (keeping in mind that I am a shatterwit and I have probably forgotten some).

In no particular order:

1. Noggin - John Corey Whaley

This man shattered my heart with Where Things Come Back and I look forward to him doing it all over again with Noggin. I have every faith that he will write the best book about a head transplant ever (yes, you read that right). We can expect Noggin out in April. 



2. Ruin and Rising - Leigh Bardugo
Just the placeholder until we get to see the real thing.
The first conclusion I'm dying to read. Leigh Bardugo has set up a darkly beautiful quest for Alina and Mal and in Ruin we'll get the final showdown with the Darkling. It's going to be amazing.






3.Sinner - Maggie Stiefvater

http://maggiestiefvater.com/
While I'm anxiously awaiting the third book in The Raven Cycle Maggie Stiefvater has thoughtfully provided me with a Wolves of Mercy Falls companion book. Sinner follows Isobel and Cole in L.A. We can expect it in July.




4. The Retribution of Mara Dyer - Michelle Hodkin
http://www.michellehodkin.com/

I cannot wait to see what Michelle Hodkin does with the end of the Mara Dyer trilogy. I also cannot believe how she ended The Evolution of Mara Dyer. This book was initially supposed to come out last October but was pushed back. Now we can expect it in June.


5. City of Heavenly Fire - Cassandra Clare

www.cassandraclare.com

I know a lot of people are waiting for this one. The final book in Clare's The Mortal Instruments series. With all of the teasers of characters dying, I expect a nice cry. We'll get this one in May.


6. The Infinite Sea - Rick Yancey
www.rickyancey.com
Noticing a trend with the placeholders?

The 5th Wave blew me away and now I'm waiting to see what Yancey does with the amazing world he set up in the sequel. The Infinite Sea is due out in September.



7. Lair of Dreams - Libba Bray
www.libbabray.com


I was delighted and horrified by The Diviners and not just because the book is creepy. But because Bray left so much unanswered! Well we should finally get some answers in August.


8. Four: A Divergent Story Collection - Veronica Roth
http://veronicarothbooks.blogspot.com/

Veronica Roth started writing a series of short stories from Four's point of view that were being slowly released in e-book format. Then the project grew and the stories all became longer than she had planned. So the collection was put off and will be released in July in a bound collection. I loved what I've read so far and can't wait to get any little bit she'll give us!


9. Dangerous Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl

The beginning of a new companion series to Beautiful Creatures! Dangerous Creatures will follow Link and Ridley. Ethan will always be my favorite but Link and Ridley are such different characters from Ethan and Lena so I can't wait to see what they do. Dangerous Creatures should be out in May.


10. Darkest Fear - Cate Tiernan
http://catetiernan.net/

I have been pretty much in love with Cate Tiernan since her Sweep days. I may not have loved Immortal Beloved as much as the others but that doesn't mean I'm not wicked excited for her new series. And this one leaves little time for us to wait since it'll be out in January.

There are quite a few others that don't have set release dates or months (keeping in mind that dates can always be moved). Stephanie Perkins' Isla and the Happily Ever After, the Holly Black and Cassandra Clare co-write The Iron Trial, Sarah Rees Brennan's conclusion to the Lynburn Legacy Unmade are all expected out in the next year (please).

As I was making this post I realized that many of these are series books. Perhaps I need to branch out some more? Anyway, these are just a few of them. There are so many more! Get geared up for the new year because there are some amazing books coming out.

-Amy

No comments: