Wednesday, August 7, 2013

August Shenanigans

It's August.  Boston empties out, people who haven't yet squandered their vacation time have fled, the city is quiet (ish) and waiting for September when Boston's population explodes.  This is the perfect time of year for putting shenanigans onto the Booksmith event calendar, when we take off our glasses and party like it's 1999.

BOOKSMITH STAFF TALENT SHOW*
Friday, August 23rd at 7pm
A lot of really interesting, talented people work here.  In addition to a slew of writers, we have cosplayers, comedians, artists, all sorts of people, but no jugglers. I really wanted there to be a juggler on staff, really really badly. I'm going to be reading a sestina I wrote for Shuchi about spatial reasoning, Amy will be doing her stick figure drawings, Ric and Jodie have signed up to read poetry and prose, Katie will be making a brilliant short film, and rumor has it Jes is searching for her childhood clarinet. I don't think anyone will be singing, but that's because...

TURN AROUND BRIGHT EYES
A Reading with Rob Sheffield Sandwiched by Karaoke Hours
Saturday, August 17th at 7pm
I read Love is A Mix Tape years ago, cried, and fell head-over-heels for Rolling Stone writer Rob Sheffield and his deceased wife.  Let's be honest with ourselves, this guy can write. Fast forward to a few months ago when I learned of Rob's new book, Turn Around Bright Eyes: The Rituals of Love and Karaoke.  The karaoke party didn't really appear in my brain, rather, it climbed onto a cloud playing Hall and Oates and settled gently onto my shoulders.  Want to get in on this? E-mail events@brooklinebooksmith.com with the subject heading KARAOKE! and your top 3 song choices to be assigned a time slot.  If you don't, Rob Sheffield may be subjected to two straight hours of me singing a Hall and Oates medley and he may never return to the Boston area.  Come on guys.  Do it for Rob.

BABAYAGA
A Reading with Toby Barlow
Thursday, August 8 at 7pm
There aren't any overt shenanigans connected to this event, and it's technically the most 'normal' reading out of the ones I've listed here. I loved Sharp Teeth and I really adore Babayaga, which is the most shenanigan-laced book I've read in quite a while, and this is coming from the woman who has been steadily consuming Doctor Who mass markets this entire summer.  You should go.

*If you know how to juggle and would like to juggle in the Booksmith Staff Talent Show, please e-mail events@brooklinebooksmith.com with the subject header: I Am The Juggler You've Been Searching For.  Please include a brief description of your most adventurous juggling attempt to date.

No comments: