Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Sometimes You Just Want to Hug a Customer


This morning, a woman bought a copy of J.D. Salinger's Nine Stories.  I told her about how I buy copies of this collection and hand them out whenever I feel someone needs it.  She told me about her favorite edition (the entirely white cover with the rainbow corner) and how her favorite story was "The Laughing Man." I had to comment--that story haunts me every year, and I always read it as slowly as possible. Upon every re-read I find something new, and it's always connected to some new life experience I've had that allows me to interpret a bit more of the story to fit my evolving idea of 'adulthood.'  I wish I could go back to my sixteen-year-old self and see what she saw upon reading that story, because that point of view is long gone.

I told the woman about reading it again in a college English class and being startled by what it contained.  Things I had previously glossed over popped to the forefront, holding my face in its hands and forcing me to look it in the eye.  Much like the story itself, I had been reading without bothering to notice there was a storyteller with a life of their own behind it.

It turned out the woman was a professor getting ready to teach "The Laughing Man" to one of her classes. As she left, she smiled at me and said, "You've affirmed my faith in everyone under thirty."




No comments: