Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Books, man.

I'm seeing my baby sister and brother tomorrow.  They'd probably be mad at me for calling them babies, simply because they're teenagers now, complete with cell phones, facebook profiles, and a sense of agency.  I don't care, we have over a decade age difference and I've changed their diapers. You can't go back from that.

While I was packing, I asked them both if they wanted anything.  My brother gave me a list of graphic novels he wanted, and my sister seemed to shrug across the phone.  "I haven't read anything good lately.  Can you pick something for me?" I tried to figure out exactly what she wanted, but she stayed non-committal.

So, here it is: the list of books I am bringing for my 14-year-old baby sister which may contain her new favorite book or may collect dust, depending on her preference.

LIST OF BOOKS FOR MY 14YO BABY SISTER
-A galley of Daniel Wallace's Kings and Queens of Roam.  Big Fish was excellent, maybe she's in the mood for some magical realism!
-Ray Bradbury's Dandelion Wine, but with the express instructions to read it at the beginning of June.
-Ned Vizzini's The Other Normals, because I thought it was hilarious.
-Jaclyn Moriarty's The Corner of White. Epistolary style! Fantasy!
-A beat-up copy of The Fault in Our Stars by John Green, because she should have one.
-Sherman Alexie's The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, also because she should have one.

(Personal to my sister: if/when I run out of clothing, know it's because I used most of my space bringing books home for you, so now you have to buy me dresses. I just put it out to the Internet so it has to happen, Internet rule.)

No comments: