Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Brookline Booksmith: The Musical


Lately, I’ve been noticing a theme around e-mail signoffs.  The stereotypical “best” has been replaced by a cheery hope that I “stay sane through the holidays.”  This support warms my heart, and also brings me to an idea that has been brewing in my head for a while: Brookline Booksmith: The Musical.

Now, before Dana, our beautiful and delightful store manager questions me about this “creative” idea, hear me out. 

REASONS WHY BROOKLINE BOOKSMITH: THE MUSICAL IS KIND OF A GOOD IDEA

1. A few days ago, I saw one of my fellow booksellers dancing away from the register, full body movement and all.  It could have been interpreted as an enthusiastic walk, but… no.  I know what dancing looks like, and that was dancing. 

2. Booksellers sing, sometimes in the back, sometimes not.  Yesterday, another bookseller and I did a lovely duet of Alphaville’s “Forever Young” while clearing the hold shelf.  I choose to believe it was a delight to hear, and I will not accept evidence to the contrary.

3. The wooden floors upstairs are great for practicing amateur tap dancing.

4. When Susannah Cahalan was here, I made brief mention of Brookline Booksmith: The Musical.  She enthusiastically supported the idea (okay, okay, she said she thought it was cool), leading me to believe we could have a rotating lineup of author guest stars.

What does this have to do with anything?  Besides potentially being one of the greatest and most poorly sung musicals of all time, this kind of thing keeps us sane.  Brookline Booksmith: The Musical will remain in my head, but we’ll keep singing and dancing our way through the holidays with our sanity fully intact.

2 comments:

As the Crowe Flies and Reads said...

Funny you should mention that. No, seriously! I've been harboring a secret desire to have an Odyssey Bookshop musical, too. And I sorta kinda maybe suggested that Winter Institute could be improved upon with a musical variety act starrring booksellers.

Jamie said...

I fully support this, and volunteer myself and my fellow Booksmith booksellers for a rousing rendition of "Forever Young." We're really, really good at it.