Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Spring is only 48 days away

Lately I've been trying to think about the future. Not in a lofty what do I want to do with my life way, but in a .... two months from now this snow nightmare will (probably) be a distant memory way. For instance, by the first day of spring, which is coincidentally my birthday, the days will be longer by at least an hour and all 298 feet of this snow will probably have melted away -- we'll have our sidewalks and parking spots back! But, I have a couple of other things to look forward to as well.

First, Kathryn Stockett, author of The Help, one of my favorite books of ALL RECORDED TIME, will be coming to our very own store to launch the paperback version of her book. This will be happening on May 11th. The weather will be mild and sunny (I personally guarantee it,) and from what I've seen on YouTube (readings she did at other bookstores,) she is engaging and full of interesting stories. I can't wait for this. Perhaps I can take the opportunity to convince her to write a sequel.

The second exciting thing to look forward to, also in May, is a new book by Erik Larson. He is the author of my other favorite book of all recorded time, The Devil in the White City, as well as Isaac's Storm and Thunderstruck. His new one is called In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin. (Click on the link for a synopsis.) I haven't read it yet so I can't vouch for its awesomeness, but it's bound to be at least pretty darn good, right? He is one hell of a story teller. I also promise mild weather and sunny skies while you are reading this book.

In between now and then, take care out there in that icky snow!

No comments: