Monday, November 1, 2010

Doonesbury Turns 40

And I, 62, about the same age as Garry Trudeau. I began reading his work as a Viet Nam War protester college student back in the day. He has always been an important voice in my life, chronicling major cultural and political shifts since 1970 in more than 14,000 strips. The acuity and wit with which he does so never lessens. Andrews McMeel Publishing has just released "40: A Doonesbury Retrospective". It's a superb tome affording a unique way to experience the amazing depth and complexity of one of the greatest comic strips ever. There's a wonderful introduction by Garry who seldom talks about his work. He'll be out in the media scrum for this book, another rarity. I will be enjoying this anniversary and reflecting on my much younger, then somewhat older, then even older self in the meantime.

No comments: