Saturday, June 26, 2010

audio books, stepmothers, Pennsylvania











I'm about to go on a rather long car ride to somewhere in Pennsylvania. I am doing this because I have grown fond of a fella, and that is where his family lives...I'm looking forward to 3 days of careful self- censorship as I try and remember not to swear, burp or make any crass religious jokes.
I tend to get very nauseous whilst driving, so I think we are going to try an audio book---which I haven't experienced since I was 12 in the backseat of my 3rd stepmother's van, being carted off to her home in ALABAMA where I was paid $50 to pack up her things and move her to Rhode Island. The book we listened to was Pigs in Heaven by Barbara Kingsolver http://www.brooklinebooksmith-shop.com/book/9780060922535
I loved the book and it really was quite successful in helping me dissociate from the saccharine drawl of a woman who put many wonderful books in my hand, and ulcers in my stomach.I think I'll probably go with one of our many language books and try and learn Italian...that way I can continue to swear --mostly undetected.

No comments: