Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Delicious Soul Food (and good news for vegans!)


One of my favorite new cookbooks of the season just came out: Vegan Soul Kitchen by Bryant Terry. When I was buying it my rep mentioned how much she (and her dinner guests) liked the Citrus Collards with Raisins Redux she made. And Katie has already picked up a copy and told me how much she loved the Cajun-Creole-Spiced Tempeh Pieces with Creamy Grits.

I was always bummed that I couldn't eat a lot of Southern cooking as it usually involves foods I don't eat (shellfish and pork in particular) so I am so thrilled to have some delicious soul food I can try. My mouth is seriously watering just looking at the table of contents...I want some sweet, sour, and spicy blackberry limeade and carrot-cranberry-walnut salad now! And I love how each recipe comes with a soundtrack (for example, Bo Diddley's "I'm a Man" is suggested for garlic broth-braised brussels sprouts).

This book is seriously good--not just for vegans but for anyone looking for some new inspiration. Check it out! (and check out more from Bryant Terry here).

By the way, if you are vegan (or just looking to eat more veggies) you should send a big hug and kiss to the folks of Da Capo Press. Their spring/summer list is packed full of the most amazing vegan cookbooks one after another (and we'll be carrying all of them). Check it out:

March: The aforementioned Vegan Soul Kitchen by Bryant Terry

May: Ani's Raw Food Desserts by Ani Phyo (who wrote our bestselling raw food cookbook, Ani's Raw Food Kitchen)

June: Vegan Brunch by Isa Chandra Moskowitz (who wrote our bestselling vegan cookbook, Veganomicon)


Honestly, if I were vegan I'd be doing a happy dance right about now.

No comments: