Wednesday, May 9, 2007

On Returns

Dear customer, I understand that sometimes you need to return a purchase, and I want to help you be happy. Sometimes, though, I also just want to know what you were thinking.

Earlier today a very nice woman brought in two books on CD that she wanted to return. She had her receipt, which is always helpful. Except, that is, in this case, as the receipt was from 2005 and from a store that happened to be named Booksmith but located in a town in Massachusetts I've never heard of. As we did currently carry one of the CDs, I took it for store credit; we had never carried the other and she was very understanding about my not being able to take it back.

I'm reminded of another customer not too long ago who wanted to "return" a book to us but forgot to take the Borders Books & Music sticker off the back. Again, we carried the book, so I took it for store credit, but I would have appreciated the effort of removing the competitor's sticker before attempting to return it to us.

Neither one of these customers were the kind to make you want to curl up in a ball and hide in a dark room or kick inanimate objects while raging at the state of humanity, but they did make me shake my head in wonder (and, I have to admit, a bit of admiration for the gall).

No comments: